• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

This must be a Worry

that is a real worry. i have a question, i took stewie to the vet on monday for his vaccinations, how soon do they become effective?

Oh no this is terrible. I walk my dog down the beck and there are loads of rabbits there and at night there are hedgehogs in the garden and everywhere i am so scared now :cry: :cry:

i just realised something. My bunnies have their own 'garden' in the corner of our garden, the garden has a little brick wall around it, and a pretty gate. They have their runs and hutches in there etc and its so lovely for them, they have fresh parsley and carrots growing in their 'digging area' etc etc. But my dad has a pond on the other side of their little wall. There are ALWAYS mozzies about....does this increase their risk? no point moving the bunnies, we spent alo of time and money making their garden and the pond is in the middle so doesnt make any difference. i feel worries now:(

All we can do is make sure their vaccinations are up to date, use flyscreens where possible and leave the rest to luck.
I also wonder how many vets panic when they see the initial symptoms and pts as a precaution. Nodular myxi(from which most vaccinated buns will recover) presents with the usual myxi symptoms..I'm so glad my vet hung on for a couple of days in case it was just the nodular strain..perhaps a lesser experienced vet would have advised me to have Floss pts right away.

Last edited:
All we can do is make sure their vaccinations are up to date, use flyscreens where possible and leave the rest to luck.
I also wonder how many vets panic when they see the initial symptoms and pts as a precaution. Nodular myxi(from which most vaccinated buns will recover) presents with the usual myxi symptoms..I'm so glad my vet hung on for a couple of days in case it was just the nodular strain..perhaps a lesser experienced vet would have advised me to have Floss pts right away.

Hi :wave: I just wondered Hilda, for clarification can you tell me how your vet knew after a couple of days that it was nodular myxi rather than full? My vets very good and I'm sure she'd be knowledgable about it, and all my buns are vaccinated, but just incase! I'd like to know how you can tell which one it is if they present the same at first? Thanks so much! x x x :D :wave:

Using fly-free to help against fly strike helps as well as being vaccinated because it deters other insects like fleas etc from going near your bunny.

When does the mozzie populations die down during the year?

From Intervet:
If a rabbit with a degree of immunity is heavily challenged with myxomatosis, then atypical myxomatosis (‘lumpy bunny syndrome’) may be observed. In these instances, the rabbits do not develop typical clinical signs of myxomatosis, only the dermal lesions (hence ‘lumpy bunny syndrome’). Prognosis for recovery from atypical myxomatosis is good, although may be protracted, providing concomitant problems such as stress, pasteurellosis, etc., do not interfere.

With nodular myxi they don't get swollen eyes/discharge (tho they can still get secondary resp infection). Instead they get lumps (nodules) which eventually scab and heal.

Tam

From Intervet:

With nodular myxi they don't get swollen eyes/discharge (tho they can still get secondary resp infection). Instead they get lumps (nodules) which eventually scab and heal.

Tam

I actively promote vaccinations and we vaccinate all our bunnies before they are rehomed, but was just wondering that as you have descibed the above, it would appear the effects are different for vaccinated bunnies but do they make a full recovery and go on to live long active lives?

Hi :wave: I just wondered Hilda, for clarification can you tell me how your vet knew after a couple of days that it was nodular myxi rather than full? My vets very good and I'm sure she'd be knowledgable about it, and all my buns are vaccinated, but just incase! I'd like to know how you can tell which one it is if they present the same at first? Thanks so much! x x x :D :wave:

You know, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm assuming it's because she didn't go on to develop any respiratory problems and her runny, swollen eye didn't worsen or spread to the other one, nor did the lesions spread to her genitals. I should have asked I suppose:? When I take Sapphire and Pansy back for their VHD I'll ask.:)

Hi Tamsin:wave: I hadn't read your post before answering, but Floss presented with a swollen , runny eye first and it was only when I took her back after 4 days as it seemed to be gettting worse despite treatment, that my vet noticed the lesions around her mouth.(I'd noticed she had a lump at the base of her ear for a day or two ,but hadn't thought much of it !(bad, bad mummy:shock: ). Any sort of myxi hadn't occurred to me as she'd been vaccinated and I'd assumed that gave 100% protection. I'm wiser now...:)

I actively promote vaccinations and we vaccinate all our bunnies before they are rehomed, but was just wondering that as you have descibed the above, it would appear the effects are different for vaccinated bunnies but do they make a full recovery and go on to live long active lives?
Hi. Floss made a full recovery apart from some impaired vision in the affected eye as a result of ulceration caused by the lesion.

Back