• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

separtating two bunnies to be bonded with another two

becca114

Young Bun
I have a rabbit who has recently been neutered and my brother has a rabbit at his house who is due to be neutered very soon. Both of us want a companion for our bunnies and we have been offered a pair of bonded mini-lops who are sisters. The theory is that my brother and I will have one each to have spayed and bond with our own rabbits. I am concerned though that the sisters shouldn't be separated, will they pine for each other?and will separating an already bonded pair make it harder for my brother and I to bond them with our own once they have been spayed?

That is tricky - not sure, but I do know your boys will still be fertile for 8 WEEKS after their neuter, so be very careful not to even house them near unspayed girls - rabbits can mate through cage bars as one lady on forum found out last year!

I'm not sure how others feel but I wouldnt want to split a bonded pair just to bond with others. It really depends how strong their bond is, I've witnessed rabbits that tolerate each other, rabbits that get on, and rabbits that are totally in love and it just wouldnt be right to separate them. Why not get single rescue buns to bond with yours?:)

its difficult, i agree with the previous post. If they just tolerate each other, then i think it would be okay. if they truly have a 'bond' i wouldnt break it, bcus it wont be in their best interests, it would be better if you adopted two singles if this is the case xx

Yes I do agree with you all, thank you. I have tried the local rspca but they dont have any females for rehoming, and I have put up an ad in the pet shop but no luck there either, Ill keep looking.

Back