PDA

View Full Version : Omg Look What I Just Found

mrs munkee
24-08-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.hutchcompany.co.uk/output/qd000000.htm

I am so appalled by these its:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: disgusting

LionheadLuver
24-08-2007, 01:24 PM
that is :censored: !!!! i would not allow any animal to live in those hutches or runs. a hamster cage is larger than those. They also say "generous dimesions". :censored: :censored:

bunny_burrows
24-08-2007, 01:33 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: Are they mad? Seriously?:shock:

elve
24-08-2007, 01:37 PM
The guinea pig hutches are :shock: :cry:

mrs munkee
24-08-2007, 02:09 PM
they say room for one or more and they reckon they're europes leading supplier :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: i don't think so!

and as for vinyl, how to create a sweat box :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Beebop
24-08-2007, 02:18 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I think I've seen the 'guinea pig' hutch outside a shop before, my hamster's travel cage was honestly, not much smaller!:shock: :evil: :evil:

casu consulto
24-08-2007, 02:55 PM
They've GOT to be kidding...

... except, it would seem they're not. I'm thinking very bad thoughts now.

cavysrock
24-08-2007, 03:45 PM
they are disgusting, I reckon my hamster cage is about the size of some of them! :evil:

March Hare
24-08-2007, 04:27 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I was especially horrified by THIS line:

The new larger dimensions and the two door opening makes a superb home

LARGER dimensions?!?!?:shock: :shock: :shock: Just how :censored: small were they BEFORE?!?!?:evil: :evil:

SOAD
24-08-2007, 04:41 PM
These are sold every where in the midlands, I can't believe that is the first time you've seen them? I always get rabbits given me in these, they're everywhere and awfully small :( , I use them as run hidies and they are not weather proof at all, in fact they soak right through in the rain, they're not cheap either considering the size and what they're made of. I did compalin to Jollies about them before as they sell them there and they told me that they wouldn't give the floor space to anything bigger, they're shocking.

March Hare
24-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I think that is a SHOCKING attitude for Jollies to have, as their 'we don't want to waste floor space' attitude is going to sentence a LOT of poor bunnies to a cramped, miserable life. No, people don't HAVE to buy them.....but I think that if they aren't prepared to 'waste the floor space' to sell DECENT and acceptable sized hutches, then they shouldn't bother to sell any at ALL.:?

SOAD
24-08-2007, 04:50 PM
I think that is a SHOCKING attitude for Jollies to have, as their 'we don't want to waste floor space' attitude is going to sentence a LOT of poor bunnies to a cramped, miserable life. No, people don't HAVE to buy them.....but I think that if they aren't prepared to 'waste the floor space' to sell DECENT and acceptable sized hutches, then they shouldn't bother to sell any at ALL.:?

They don't give a :censored: , it's awful I said that it's not the minmum rspca recommendation, but they weren't botherd. It's the one off the black country route, that's all they mainly sold is those hutches. They have started selling some longer ones but they're equally as thin. Two by two in brierly hill sell them, honestly all the pet shops around here sell those hutches, I've never seen any others, other than at one garden centre and pets at home.

So they probably are the laeading hutch sellers, I've never seen a shop that doesn't sell them, any other midlanders see a lot of them?

SOAD
24-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Actually looking at the piggie one it's a lot bigger then what it was, I think the old size was 25inch, it's so sad.

Ashley
24-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm lost for words except :censored: :censored: and :censored:

Why do these people think a Rabbit would want to spend its entire life in hutches like these.

Would you put a small poodle, toy yorkshire terrier, a cat or even a kitten in an area this small. NO I DON'T THINK SO!

How do these people sleep at night :evil:

SOAD
24-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I think they actuallt think they're good, seriously I've been given some seriously small hutches. I'll have to take some pics of them for you guys, maybe it's a black country thing or something. I had to get my hutches made as I found it impossible to buy an off the peg one.

elve
24-08-2007, 06:19 PM
I don't see the point in the RSPCA's new legislation on hutch size if shops are still allowed to sell this type of thing - surely it is now illegal? Ought to be anyway :evil:

Bunnytod
24-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah i see loads of them round here in Derby too, must be a midlands thing, My cousin paid 40 when she got her baby bunny but ended up buying a new one a month after cause as the bunny grew he got less and less room to move about in . (he now lives in a huge hutch and run)

Sarah86
24-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Charlie has a 4ft one made by THAT crappy company, not vinyl though what the hell is that all about- playboy mansion or something :shock: !?

They supply them to P@H, it is very very sh!te! We have it on a walled roof terrace and its not great in wet weather at all, I bring him inside. I dread to think how wet it would get in a garden. The legs have come off and the wood is really flimsy, the doors are badly designed and aren't hinged on the outsides so getting things in and out is a nightmare. To be completely honest its an embarrassment and I let him chew it because I hate it so much.

Before anyone jumps on me he is literally shut in it at night time for as long as I'm asleep and has a large pen around it during the day and when I'm home has run of at least the roof terrace, sometimes the house aswell AND he's having a new 6 x 2 x 2 one built for him and Jet to share.

Pringle
24-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I think we should ALL email them complaining!!!
They are :censored: ing :censored: 's :evil: :evil: :evil:

Might be an ok home for a beetle!!!!!!!!!!

Pringle
24-08-2007, 07:10 PM
They dont even have prices do they?

Sarah86
24-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I think we should ALL email them complaining!!!
They are :censored: ing :censored: 's :evil: :evil: :evil:

Might be an ok home for a beetle!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah bombard the b*****ds!! Have they got an e-mail address, is there a link to the RSPCA legislation, we should all send them that and ask why they make such bad hutches.

cavysrock
24-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I see tons of them in Derby aswell, I hate them so much!!! They sell them at Bunny Land in Yorkshire

Julia123
24-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah bombard the b*****ds!! Have they got an e-mail address, is there a link to the RSPCA legislation, we should all send them that and ask why they make such bad hutches.

did anyone find any details? think a load of e-mails to the manufacturer AND the retailers is called for !

incidentally - there is a show at the NEC called GLEE happens every year and is trade show for garden centres etc and also has pet supplies. i spoke to a few of the suppliers last year about the size of their hutches and they maintained the smaller ones were for guinnea pigs - even though they were labelled 'rabbit hutch' !!i will be going again this year as i have clients in the garden industry, so if anyone can point me in the direction of some solid facts, i will go armed this time. If anyone wants to join me you can register online - don't know the url - just google GLEE

Julia123
24-08-2007, 07:39 PM
did anyone find any details? think a load of e-mails to the manufacturer AND the retailers is called for !

incidentally - there is a show at the NEC called GLEE happens every year and is trade show for garden centres etc and also has pet supplies. i spoke to a few of the suppliers last year about the size of their hutches and they maintained the smaller ones were for guinnea pigs - even though they were labelled 'rabbit hutch' !!i will be going again this year as i have clients in the garden industry, so if anyone can point me in the direction of some solid facts, i will go armed this time. If anyone wants to join me you can register online - don't know the url - just google GLEE

PS i'm not up on hutches as i have house buns :D

iLuvStarbuckandBella
24-08-2007, 07:43 PM
WTC??? Those are horrible! The also sad thing is that most ppl prolly have their bunnies LIVING in one of those and not even having a run for them or anything! Do they think that bunnies have no brains and no need to accually get some energy out??:censored: :censored: :censored: Those IDIOTS!!:cry:

mrs munkee
25-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Thing is would the rspca do anything if we approached them?? There's no actual animal involved as such (despite the probable hundreds of suffering bunnies caused by this idiotic company). unless it actually becomes illegal to sell hutches so small there's not a lot to do. do you reckon it would be worth speaking to trading standards?? with the rspca legislation as back up, you'd think they'd be able to say something. at the end of the day if someone buys one of them hutches for a bun and then get fined etc by the rspca surely that person would say that the hutch was marketed as a rabbit hutch so it should have been ok? If you get what i'm saying???:?

Julia123
25-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Thing is would the rspca do anything if we approached them?? There's no actual animal involved as such (despite the probable hundreds of suffering bunnies caused by this idiotic company). unless it actually becomes illegal to sell hutches so small there's not a lot to do. do you reckon it would be worth speaking to trading standards?? with the rspca legislation as back up, you'd think they'd be able to say something. at the end of the day if someone buys one of them hutches for a bun and then get fined etc by the rspca surely that person would say that the hutch was marketed as a rabbit hutch so it should have been ok? If you get what i'm saying???:?

Interesting this raises a whole new issue on, on-product labelling and descriptions. I think i am right in saying that they have not breached any Trading Standards as they have given correct measurements and by describing them as they do this is mearly an 'invitation to buy' and by purchasing the buyer accepts the terms (would be most happy to be wrong if anyone knows any different) If the RSPCA standards were mandatory and not a recommendation then this would be the best starting point. Meanwhile if responsible hutch builders could clearly label and market their products as complying and exceeding RSPCA recommendations then people may start to get the idea.

Its so frustrating there are so many people here who care, i wish we could find a way to start actioning some of these things as a collective, i know we all have such busy lives but if we share maybe we can make a difference. For example can we :-

Establish RSPCA guidelines and the legal implications

Find a mailing list of Hutch manufacturers

Draft a letter on minimum specifications and suggest approprite labelling for responsible manufacturers

Mail out and also send copies to Veterinary Centres and Pet Shops

I believe these are all do-able and if we share we can make it happen :D

How about if i said that i will draft a letter and organise mailing once armed with the facts? Can anyone help with the info gathering? I will need to try and get charitable funding from a mailing house if the volume is large, i have a few contacts but if anyone else does too then please let me know.

Come on guys we can do this :D

willowflower27
25-08-2007, 11:34 AM
yikes there kinda awful i'd never put any of my animals in them

Pringle
25-08-2007, 05:48 PM
e-mail: enquiries@hutchcompany.co.uk

!!!Just enquire how they actually get away with selling so many little tiny hutches!:evil:

donnamt
25-08-2007, 06:02 PM
i bought a rabbit cage which is just like a large hamster cage in ignorance... it werent until i got my bun home i realised thats a rubbish house for any pet and reading on a different forum i found out how much space they really do need!! i have now attached an additional exercise pen onto the cage so Alvin can still run around.... hes only locked up at night or when we arent there to supervise the little monster.... we also had to make our own chipmunk cage because the rubbish on the market just isnt big enough :cry: and the cost is shocking too!!!

hi btw im new :wave:

cavysrock
25-08-2007, 07:38 PM
How about this for an e-mail?:

Hello,
I was looking through your website and I was shocked at the sizes of the hutches you sell. They do not meet the RSPCA standards and they are not suitable for rabbits.
A single rabbit needs a minimum of 2ftx5ft space, two rabbits need 2ftx6ft.
These hutches are cleary unsuitable for rabbits to live in, they need more space than provided in your hutches.
Thanks,
Beth

I'll try and find a link for the RSPCA standards

mrs munkee
25-08-2007, 08:05 PM
great e-mail draft beth! although i'd have liked to have been more snotty;) . is there a way we could all sign one like a petition kind of thing? might email em myself tho just to see what they say.

I'm glad i've bought this shocking company to light, hopefully one day people will stop keeping their buns in terrible housing.