• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting used to a harness?

Muppet2

Alpha Buck
Any tips?

I got one yesterday and tried it on Muppet. He wasnt keen... The actual harness part he tolerated but obviously didnt like. But when I added the lead, he completely freaked. Poor stressed bunny :( Fortunately he adored the treat ball that came in the same parcel (hasnt stopped playing with it since, full or empty!) so I think I'm forgiven.

How can I get him used to the harness without stressing him out too much?

I've already explained this in another tread but I might as well answer here too.
Seems you've already been able to put the harness on, that's good, since with my rabbits that's usually the hardest part:roll:
If he doesn't like the lead let him run around without it till he gets used to the harness. While walking him on a lead remember you can't walk a rabbit like you walk a dog. It's better just to let him run where he wants, the harness is simply there to prevent him from escaping or get into trouble.

I tried to put a harness on mine and she got so stressed. I only got the bit on round her neck and she ran off with the lead in tow!!! She won't stay still enough for me to put it on her!!

I tried to put a harness on mine and she got so stressed. I only got the bit on round her neck and she ran off with the lead in tow!!! She won't stay still enough for me to put it on her!!

That's why I need to hold them while attaching the harness. I'm usually sitting on my bed or a trampoline with the bunny on my lap.

I only got the bit on round her neck and she ran off with the lead in tow!!!

Which is dangerous as well as stressful. I unclipped the lead BEFORE I put the harness on and I recommend you do that too if you're trying again!! As Zakura says, get her used to the harness first and then introduce the lead.

Getting the harness on was a bit of wiggle but not too bad. Mind you, Muppet knows what to expect next time so he may fight more :lol:

Back