• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teal'c and I are angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
I took him to get neutered today, left my cell number and kept my cell with me all day. At noon I get a call from the vet saying there was a problem, and they could only remove one testicle because only one had decended. They wanted to know whether to cut him open and dig it out or sew him back up and wait for it to drop. Of course I said sew him back up because the other one was a major deal for such a little guy.

What I want to know is why they began operating in the first place if there was only one testicle decended? When I first got Teal'c I noticed that his sac seemed a bit strange but I figured it was normal for bunnies. I don't know anything about bunny anatomy but even I could tell you there was only one 'ball' in there. So why can't this vet see that as well??? He should have called me as soon as he saw only one had dropped to see how I wanted to proceed, because I would have said don't go through with it.

So now Teal'c has to go back!!! He has to go through this whole ordeal again and he's already completely miserable. Plus he's not sterile so he can't meet Teyla, because Teyla was spayed by the same vet so how can I be sure that he didn't just remove one overy???

ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They gave me Baytril for him. I hope they got that right at least....

You're right. Male rabbit testicles are two separate and very obvious sacks (one each side of the base of the tail). The vet should have easily been able to tell one was undecended before knocking him out.

I'd write and complain to the practice manager and demand that op number two is done for free!

Tam

They charged me half now and will charge the other half later. That still doesn't make poor Teal'c feel any better!

He is one cranky little dude right now. I've tucked him in for an early beddy-bye and he's settled down to rest...

I would still right, you'd be suprised what an angry letter can do. My sisters guinae pig had a problem with the idiot vet neutering him and she got a discount and free treatment for the follow-ups due to the extra distress caused to both the owner and the rabbit. Plus the vet ended up in a disciplinary hearing and we think he may have been fired.

Sounds like they didn't bother doing a pre op check, what a great service:?
I would write too and if there are other vets maybe ask for someone with more knowledge of castrating small furries!

Poor Teal, I hope he has recovered well.

Like Leanne said this should have been checked pre op. When I took my two buns down for castration the vet checked them in front of me and then gave them a sedative. At previous appointments I had been told that if the danglies hadn't descended enough on the op day they wouldn't carry it out. I think you have grounds to compain.

I hate taking the cat or the buns to the vet as there are generally drooling and/or barking dogs there. I do like dogs but always get anxious at the vets with my furries.

Back