• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Does This Mean?

J4yn3

New Kit
Hi:wave: ,
One Of My Buns Which has recently been re-homed will sometimes sit in the hutch and rock his head side to side... Is This anything 2 worry about? any one know why he does this?is he just a bit scared maybe as its new surroundings?
Thanks
Jayne

Is the bun white with read eyes?

By rock do you mean tilt or or sway like it's looking left to right and back again?

Tam

Hi my neices bunny that i m looking after does that. He just sways gently side to side, not moving his head, is it like that? i hope it isnt anythign to worry about

Are his eye's normal brown or slightly different colour (bit red or blue?). He could be scanning which is common in red eyed rabbits or varations because they have poor eye sight. Scanning side to side helps judge distance.

You only need to worry if it's something they suddenly start doing as then it's could be a sign or a neurological problem.

Tam

my neices bunny is albino? oh does that mean he could be poor sighted? sometimes when he strokes him he jumps? is there anyway i can do a little test on him? like an eye test or somethign?

I'm not sure whether a vet could tell or not. In general red eyed animals tend to have poorer vision.

Rabbits have great sense of smell and hearing though which usually compensates.

You could try verbally warning the rabbit before you stroke him e.g. just saying 'hiya bunny' so he know's you are there :)

Rabbits have a blind spot right infront of the nose too so approaching from the side is less likely to startle them :)

One of mine scans- she just moves her head slowly from left to right and back, it looks quite sweet. She is white and grey and her eyes are brown but in natural light they look quite red. She does it more in unfamiliar surroundings, she does it a lot less now she is used to where the furniture is! :)

I have an albino rat and I have to verbally warn her before I open the cage or stroke her as she gets startled very easely. Poor thing deff cant see as well as her friends.:(

recently one of Crystals eyes have gone from brown to a weird blue color :? does this mean shes possibly has a sight problem in one eye? i asked this question a few weeks back but no one replyed so i just took it that i was being silly :?

recently one of Crystals eyes have gone from brown to a weird blue color :? does this mean shes possibly has a sight problem in one eye? i asked this question a few weeks back but no one replyed so i just took it that i was being silly :?

Sorry I don't know the answer but I definately don't think you are being silly. I think I read a post about this a while back from someone else with an answer from Jane but not 100%. I would definately get it checked, could it be a cataract or something? Hope its nothing serious x

Back