• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is so gentle about Flemmish Giants?

nibblers

New Kit
I keep reading about how gentle and sweet natured they are, but I'm not sure just how.

Anyone have a Giant? What is the difference and what makes them seem so gentle?

I have two continental giants and they are the sweetest natured buns.
I think because of their size they don't look upon us as a threat to them like a small bun might do.
My two are a bit like dogs in that they come up to you to say hello and happily lie down for as long as you're prepared to fuss them.
They're easier to pick up and handle than the small buns I have as they wriggle less, but they do have a kick like a mule if they want to get down NOW :lol:
Mine are obviously spoilt rotten and we spend lots of time with them, but the two at the rabbit sanctuary where I help out are exactly the same really sweet.
These two are my first giants, but they definately won't be my last :D :D

We have three Conti Giants...
Florence the agouti is very intolerant about being touched let alone being picked up :( .
BooBoo the blue loves being stroked, especially having her eyes covered :shock: . She hates being picked up :( .
Jaynie the opal just loves attention from us but not other rabbits. She will lay down at your feet for hours if she thinks there might be a stroke going :D .
I love them all dearly and would choose them over any other breed, not that I have anything against our other eight miracles :D .

Neil

My friend had a number of giant rabbits over the years. They really were very sweet natured and easier to pick up then my small monsters!

My friend looked after my guinea pig for me while I was on holiday and one of her elderly rabbits used to clean him (she was supervising them) while she was sorting out his hutch.

BB Mommy- I never looked at it like that but I guess people are less of a perceived threat to them because of their size.

I have a French Lop which is part of the "giant rabbit category" but not as big as a conti or flemish. Darcy is my frenchie and he is like a dog following me everywhere. I think it varies with personalities but generally I think the giant breeds are just very laid back buns. I must admit they are much easier to pick up for a cuddle....and also much easier to catch to take to the vets!!:rolleyes: :D

http://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/4555.html

Here are some for homing :D

I had a french lop - Cocoa - Who was an absolute darling, he is the only rabbit ive ever had that would nugde me, jump on my lap and fall asleep :love:

Sadly he died aged only 2 :cry: He had a tumour on the spine and surgery was unsuccessful :( He adored Vinnie my dwarf lop and was so so gentle with everyone/animal in the household.

Miss him heaps.

I love frenchies too, and agree with Neil's comment on another thread that you haven't owned a rabbit until you've had a frenchie.:D
My BB is gorgeous, and it was because of her I went on to adopt my giants.
Frenchies are ace - they seem to have a unique character all of their own :love:
Sorry, couldn't resist adding a 'photo!!
2007_0419Image0050.jpg

I love all Kayj's giants =] =] I think they're alot more chilled out and laid back to smaller bunnies...and probably feel less intimidated by us humans the small bunnies as they're alot bigger =]

Giants (contis, british and flemish) and bred for their personality amongst other things, add that to their size and 'gentle giant' nature and they make lovely, friendly pets. I dream of owning a giant bun one day.:love:

I am on my 4th Flemish Giant now. See photo section under Goofball. Most Flemish Giant, have great personality, and they make very nice house pet. Go to giant rabbit rescue and pick one up, and ask them for more details.

I had a massive Blue Beveren :love: He was the sweetest bunny ever, I miss him soo much :'( I got him for free when he was 6 years old, when I got him his bottom was Covered in poo, I cleaned him up teh bets I could but sadly he died one night, he was fine the day before, but he just left for the bridge un-expectedly :cry:

I have 8 giants now 3 french, 2 british, 1 french/conti, 1 conti/ and 1 flemish
all are very sweet natured but one of my french lops (Jasmine) was a baby she was a bit aggressive to the point she burst my nose but she is now one f the softest buns you could ever meet.

I have 8 giants now 3 french, 2 british, 1 french/conti, 1 conti/ and 1 flemish
all are very sweet natured but one of my french lops (Jasmine) was a baby she was a bit aggressive to the point she burst my nose but she is now one f the softest buns you could ever meet.

Didn't realise you had 8 Kay :shock: ! Some catching up methinks :lol: ! (Not really, Maria says we're at our limit :( )
And BB Mommy, that quote was mainly for Cannonwoman's benefit trying to persuade her husband, though I do love to see others' reactions when they see our bigguns :lol: !

Neil

Back