• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi on Radio 5 Live

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Peter Alan on Radio 5 has just done a mini report on the increase in myxi and how it had spread to pet rabbits and had a vet recommending vaccinating your rabbit every 6 months - hopefully a lot of people will have heard it and will now vaccinate their bunnies :)

Peter Alan on Radio 5 has just done a mini report on the increase in myxi and how it had spread to pet rabbits and had a vet recommending vaccinating your rabbit every 6 months - hopefully a lot of people will have heard it and will now vaccinate their bunnies :)

I think(?) that was because of me:oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
A friend knows someone who is involved with running a radio station, and I think it is Radio 5!!.
I sent the info over and looks like it was passed on:D
Hope it helps protect some more bunnies from this horrible disease.

yeah, i have a friend who doesnt innoculate her buns atall...i could murder her...aqnd tehn she has a dig at me cos mine get three jabs (two myxi, one vhd) a year....

There was a report on this on BBC Radio one as well this morning they were also asking people to text in if they have been affected or if you have any advice etc. Also telling everyone to get bunnies vaccinated.

a vet recommending vaccinating your rabbit every 6 months

When I got Muppet, I was told these should be annual except in high risk areas where it's six monthly. How do you know if you're in a high risk area?

And is this advice now redundant - should they all routinely be vaccinated every six months?

When I got Muppet, I was told these should be annual except in high risk areas where it's six monthly. How do you know if you're in a high risk area?

And is this advice now redundant - should they all routinely be vaccinated every six months?

Hiya, the advice used to be vaccinate once a year in lower risk areas, BUT many vets are now recommending every six months even for house rabbits.
This is due to changing climate(and more mosquitos and Fleas who spread the disease and can even enter our homes), and the fact new strains of Mxyo are emerging. What were quoted as high and low risk areas are not a good gauge of which bunnies should have 6 monthly vaccinations now.
Although the vaccinations are less effective against some types of Myxo , at least with vaccination your rabbits have the best possible protection and chance of making a full recovery.

Thank god this information is getting out into the general population. :)

Muppet - I think the manufacturers data sheet quotes the effectiveness as 6 months, and recommends giving it at the start of summer so that the "high risk" period is covered. But as Adele says with the changing climate and weird seasons we are having, you cant guarantee when the high risk time is. I go for the 6 monthly option to be on the safe side.

All my friends have rung to tell us about it, so the info is obviously getting out there, which is great.

Thanks you two. Yes definitely better safe than sorry - Muppet's vaccination was in January so off to make an appointment with the vet now.

Back